Saturday, October 22, 2011

Lady Lasagne: Roasted Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Lasagne

I posted photos of this 'Roasted Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Lasagne' on my facebook page earlier this week and received so many comments and messages that I thought I better get the recipe up for you, ASAP!!

This recipe was courtesy of The Vegan Foodie, and one of a couple interesting recipes that I found on the abandoned site.  Angela from Hol:Fit gave this a try last month, and her photos looked so scrumptious that I knew I wanted to give it a whirl.

Roasted Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion 
Lasagne with Cashew Cream Sauce 


Ingredients
3 medium-large butternut squashes 
1 box wholewheat lasagne noodles
1 teaspoon rubbed sage 
1 onion thinly sliced
1/2 bag of each, cheddar and mozzarella Daiya*
*my addition for the top of the lasagne 
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste


Cream Sauce
5 cups soy milk
9 oz cashews
1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
2 cloves of garlic minced
A pinch of nutmeg
Salt and Pepper to taste


Overall, this recipe was very good and a lot less time consuming than my normal (non-vegan) lasagne.  I did however find that I liked the flavour a lot more as the week went on.  A couple of notes I made while preparing:
  • I used quite a bit more than a pinch of nutmeg in the cream sauce because I found it quite bland. Perhaps some sage would be nice here too.
  • I felt the overall flavour profile of this dish could have used a bit more depth. I would suggest a layer of sautéed mixed mushrooms and a layer of vegan ricotta cheese and chopped mixed greens.


Well there you have it folks!  A beautiful, plant-based lasagne that would rival any comfort food favourite you could think of.  Give it a try, and let me know what you think.

Thanks for stopping by :)

Peace and Love,

JorDanna

No comments:

Post a Comment