Monday, April 30, 2012

May Is National Salad Month!


I was delighted to hear that May was National Salad Month (U.S.) because as most of you know, I have 3 favourite ways to eat food: in sandwich form, soup form, and you guessed it - in salad form!!!!

Salads are just so versatile, allowing you to pair any flavour combination that your taste buds could possibly desire, and in a (genuinely) timely fashion.  I think I've thrown just about everything in a salad at one point or another, most usually with great success. In fact, its very difficult to go wrong with a salad.

Staples in my salads are:
  • Kale
  • Nuts
  • Seeds
  • Dried fruit (usually goji berries or mulberries)
  • In season fresh fruit
  • Avocados
  • Beets
  • Spirulina  
  • Nori
  • Sprouts
  • Hot peppers
  • Mushrooms (raw or sautéed)

I tend to stay away from dressing and usually opt for a naked salad, or one of the following:

The rest is usually a combo of whatever I'm craving, and whatever I have in the fridge/pantry! ;)

Below is an example of a quick, weekday salad that I often pull together. If you double the portion you'll have your lunch for the next day as well!

The I Want It All Salad

When I was creating this, adding ingredients
left, right and centre, all I could think of was
I Want It All by Queen

Salad

Green Leaf Lettuce
Kale
Sautéed portobellos
Red peppers
Baby corn
Heirloom cherry tomatoes
Avocado
Black beans
Almonds
Walnuts
Goji berries
Flax seeds
Sesame seeds
Fresh Ontario Peaches

Dressing

1/2 cup salsa
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 grape seed oil


MIX together dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

ADD the remaining ingredients in various amounts.

DRIZZLE salad with dressing.

ENJOY!

So there you go.  Why not whip up a salad tonight and enjoy it as a meal, side, or filling for a wrap.

What are your favourite salad ingredients?

Don't forget to checkout Niagara VegFest on June 2 in St. Catharines, ON!!!!

Peace and Love,

JorDanna



No comments:

Post a Comment