Thursday, October 13, 2011

Carob Scented Cranberry Sauce

Thank you to everyone who sent me a message or commented on my last round of food photos!! Your love and support is unreal. Hooray for real food!!!

So many of you showed an interest in my Carob Scented Cranberry Sauce so here goes......

I started making my own cranberry sauce about 10 years ago and really haven't looked back since.  One of the easiest components of a holiday meal, cranberry sauce easily comes together by cooking the berries in a 1:1 ratio of water and sugar plus adding various spices and citrus (usually orange) to compliment the tartness of the cranberries.  This year I used xylitol instead of sugar (no one knew the difference!), opted to use a grapefruit rather than a orange, and added a dash of carob powder to give the slightest hint of chocolate.  YUMMO!!!

Carob Scented Cranberry Sauce
A JorDanna Original!


1 bag cranberries (organic if possible)
1 cup water
1 cup xylitol
1 handful of chopped walnuts
cinnamon to taste
nutmeg to taste
dash of carob powder
zest of 1/2 grapefruit*
*when I use orange, I also add segments of the fruit as well


Directions 

ADD cranberries, water, walnuts, xylitol and grapefruit zest to saucepan
COOK on med-high until mixture starts to boil and cranberries start to "pop"
REDUCE  temp to low and simmer until desired tenderness is achieved stirring frequently
ADD cinnamon, nutmeg and carob
TASTE and adjust flavours accordingly
COOL and serve
ENJOY!!

I usually buy an extra bag of cranberries and make this at least once more the week after a holiday meal because we run out so quickly.  Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Stay tuned for my version of vegan gravy and some delicious veg options :)

Peace and Love,

JorDanna

No comments:

Post a Comment